Followers

Search This Blog

Quilted Cats Hideaway

Friday, July 22, 2011

Raspberry-Rhubarb Platz

Mmmm..this is one of our favourite ones around this house!  Traditionally this recipe is made with just one fruit, and usually plum or rhubarb, but I love the mix of raspberries and rhubarb so I adjusted this recipe a little to suit.  It is also excellent with strawberries and rhubarb!  This recipe originates from one of my favourite blogs, Mennonite Girls Can Cook.  So if you're a non-menno gal like me who married a very menno guy, this blog is a wifesaver!

Preheat oven to 350*
Grease a 9x13" pan
(I use my stoneware bar pan and double this recipe)

Combine:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder

Cut in: 1/4 cup butter/marg

Once this resembles coarse crumbs add in a mixture of:
1/2 cup milk
1 fresh egg
1 tsp vanilla 
Mix well.  Mixture will be lumpy

Spread in greased pan

Top with finely diced fresh or frozen fruit of your choice.  I used approx 2 cups of chopped rhubarb and 1 1/2 cups raspberries (or strawberries.)


Crumb Topping:
(tip:  If you're doing a double recipe up to this point, you don't need to double this part..there's plenty!)


Combine: 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 1/2 cups white sugar
Melt 1/2 cup butter/marg
Drizzle butter over mixture and quickly combine to make small crumbs. 
Sprinkle over fruit and bake in the top 1/3 of your oven for approx 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!