Followers

Search This Blog

Quilted Cats Hideaway

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First time Paska...






Now I'm not an authentic Mennonite..but I sure married one! So, I've been told that makes me 'menno by marriage'. One of the things I've tried to do over the last 13 years is learn about my husbands heritage and the traditions that go along with it. I love to hear the stories from my husbands Aunt, Tina, about their journey here to Canada. Although she was just a child she has very vivid memories. It is very evident when she tells me her stories that she is so grateful for the chance she had to come to this country.
My hubby is the easiest guy to please when it comes to cooking but every now and then I like to try something special that I know he'll enjoy...sometimes that means making something Mennonite! I have discovered this treasure of a blog called 'Mennonite Girls Can Cook'. This blog not only has great recipes for every day cooking but these gals also share their traditional mennonite recipes for wives like me! I want to thank these girls for the dedication and work they put into their blog because it really is amazing and it is about so much more than just the food.
Well, that being said, I asked my hubby before Easter if paska bread was a big thing in his house when he was growing up. Many of my mennonite friends are making piles of it this time of year and I thought I'd tackle it. Although Rob doesn't remember his Mom making it, he remembers his aunts making it and was more than eager to taste my attempt. I headed off to this wonderful blog and got just the recipe. I was nervous, I'll admit it. BUT, it turned out wonderful...on the first try! I happily served it to friends and both menno and non menno family members and the results were the same....yummmmmm! I guess I'm bragging a little now so I'll go, but not before encouraging you to check out this wonderful website if you haven't already, and oh, try the paska too....it's marvelous!
I can't seem to get my pics to post in the right order...so, reverse in your mind ok?

8 comments:

  1. I've been dying to make this... but too nervous to try since I'm not a bread maker. Did you use raw eggs in your icing like the recipe calls for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cindy, i did but now that I've had the icing I think I'd just use regular butter icing but make it thinner. I didn't think the icing was anything special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps, I didn't do any kneading..I let my KitchenAid do it with the hook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY Andrea! i have all the ingredients for this and completely chickened out making it. maybe my neighbor will help me now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go lady, I've attempted before but haven't managed to accomplish much. Next year my mom and I will be doing it together and I can only hope mine will turn out as good as hers did this year. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww...you gals are too nice! thanks for your kind words. Nope, I didn't cut the recipe in half..i thought it would be to much for my mixer to handle but it wasn't. Instead of doing 4 loaves I did 3 because my pans are bigger..so the bake time was almost double.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so good!!! My inlaws were here last night for our belated Easter dinner and my MIL brought Paska... yummy!!

    I have never made this... but maybe one day, because I, too, am "menno by marriage!!!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!