Followers

Search This Blog

Quilted Cats Hideaway

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Munch Bars...

Ok..this recipe makes my top ten for sure!  I was going on and on about this recipe to friends over the weekend so now here it is for all to see/try!  I came across these yummy homeade granola bars when a fellow baseball player brought them to a game to share.  When I was looking for kid friendly recipes to try I remembered this one and emailed her for the recipe.  Thanks Sharon Z!  I've had a few winner recipes from this friend come to think of it....
Anyway, these bars come from the former head cook up at Camp Squeah.

3 cups oatmeal
2 cups rice krispies
2 cups coconut
2 cups sunflower seeds
1/2 cup mararine
12 cups marshmallows (mini)
1 cup chocolate chips (mini)
Mix oatmeal, rice krispies, coconut and sunflower seeds together. (BIG bowl)
In microwave, in large bowl, melt marg on medium heat.
Add marshmallows, coat with melted butter, and microwave on high until
nice and gooey!  Stir down and add to dry mix.
Mix well, press into greased 9x13 pan
(I used my large stoneware bar pan, but if I was using a 9x13 I'd probably split the recipe into 2 pans...it makes a lot!..oh, and buttering your hands is VERY helpful when pressing this sticky goodness)
Once pressed I sprinkled the mini chocolate chips over the entire pan and pressed them in on top of the bars.
I chilled mine in the fridge to set them.
Tip:  score or cut the bars before they harden all the way...
Try em out...let me know what YOU think!
They have become our new summer favourite!  Perfect for the beach, a hike, camping or the park!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was wondering what kind of coconut you use. Is it dried coconut?
    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!